Monday, May 30, 2011

Details of My Garden and Fire Pit Information



When I wrote about building a fire pit, I had no idea I would receive so many wonderful questions and comments about our garden which can be seen in the background of most of the pictures. Thank you!


The sketch above shows the general layout of the raised beds and paths. The garden itself is about 20 feet by 20 feet, with the paths being about 4 feet wide. The 8 foot by 8 foot center square features a large urn surrounded by a formal arrangement of boxwoods, lavender and licorice plants. The four triangular planting beds are where we plant our herbs and vegetables. Our selection is somewhat limited as this space of our yard does not receive as much sunlight as a garden should.


Mr. RDH and I began creating our garden shortly after we moved into our house. After clearing the area of trees and brush, the first step was making a level surface. We built the retaining wall – shown above - and began the fill-in process one load of dirt at a time. Since we do not own a tractor the dirt was taken from other parts of our property the old fashioned way – with a wheel barrow, rake and shovel. Lots and lots of hard work!


Rather than having straight rows of planting beds, we thought it would be much more interesting and fun to have a center square surrounded by triangular beds. To create the beds we used 2” x 10” boards along with 4” x 4” posts and galvanized screws. The bed frames were assembled first and then attached to the posts with the screws. You can see the top of one of the posts in the photo below.


We put down landscaping fabric – to reduce weed growth – underneath the paths and then hammered the posts into the ground to secure the beds. The garden beds were then filled with good quality soil and the garden paths covered in pea gravel.


To make an entrance to we used large rocks we found on our property and an arch which was purchased through Walpole Woodworkers. There is a small space between the outside edges of the planting beds and the caps of the retaining wall because the original plan was to enclose the garden with a white picket fence. I am not sure if the fence will happen or not as we like the ability to walk around all sides of the beds and have not had an abundance of critters eating from the garden.


The space next to the garden where our new fire pit is located was initially planned for a garden shed. Mr. RDH has been drawing plans and I have been saving images for several years now. Overtime somehow our purely utilitarian building has morphed into something completely different and much more involved. We realized it would be years before we tackled this project, thus the fire pit.


The fire pit was purchased from a local landscaping company and included the metal ring as well as the blocks. The name of the manufacturer is Cambridge Paving Stones and I was told it is possible to buy the metal ring separately. As I mentioned before, we have already enjoyed enough s’mores for an entire summer!


I hope I have answered all of your questions. If I missed something please let me know. I realize Blogger has had issues with comments as I have tried and been unsuccessful at leaving comments on many blogs. If you tried to leave a comment or question and it did not work, I would love for you to try again!

12 comments:

Jessi said...

Beautiful!! I love the little separate areas. We recently built a raised garden (working on a post now) in our little area...which is alot like yours! http://jgvanillabean.blogspot.com/2010/10/backyard-reveal.html

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I love it! We have raised beds and pea gravel too.

A note on not being able to leave comments on some posts. Someone told me if you sign out of google (unclick the "keep Me signed in" box, that you are able to leave comments. It worked for me and several others... Hope that helps!
Penny

Morgan said...

Your garden is so lovely! I wish I had a space like that in my backyard. I am feeling inspired to get outside and do something with my boring yard.

Abby M. Interiors said...

Stacy, as always, this looks beautiful. I have a black thumb and can never grow anything let alone landscape! I leave the outside to my husband and I take care of the inside. ;-)
Abby

Anonymous said...

Beautiful yard! We too have a great backyard space to enjoy...if we ever get some warm weather, less rain and cloudy days! :-)

Low Tide High Style said...

Thanks for all of the info, your garden is absolutely beautiful!

Kat :)

Paula@SweetPea said...

Your yard is a lovely place. Your hard work was completely worth it.

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

How much do I love your yard?? It looks fantastic, and what a lot of work. You can come plan mine anytime!

Meta said...

Thanks for sharing your garden. It's very inspiring. I was actually contemplating pea gravel paths myself and wondering if I needed to use fabric...I will since you did. Thanks!

Upscale Downhome said...

Your hard work has certainly paid off--your backyard is elegant and beautiful. I especially like how the moss has grown on the retaining wall making it look old. Nice!

awal.ny said...

What a wonderful garden. Thank you for showing the whole garden. Now I can show my husband and say "see this is what I have in mind for our garden. I hope you show pictures during the summer when the plants are full and growing. Have a wonderful weekend.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful backyard ! Lot's of work goes into a project like that.
Now you can sit back and just enjoy !

Blog Widget by LinkWithin