Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Tour of My Family's Home Office

Several months ago, I participated in Remodelaholic's virtual house tour series in which I shared my family's home office.  Since I have not shown this space on Red Door Home before and because many of you might have missed the original guest post, I thought it might be fun to republish one of my favorite and most used spaces in my house
.

Originally my daughter’s nursery, my family's home office is probably the most personal area in our home. It is here we display pictures, artwork, and mementos from vacations. It is also a space which houses several items with sentimental meaning.


One of my favorite features is the bulletin board showcasing my collection of vintage earrings, pins and shoe clips. My Grandmother loved this type of jewelry and several of the pieces belonged to her. If you look closely at the second picture you can see I collected initial pins spelling “Red Door Home.”



Another favorite feature is the capiz shell light. Purchased on line from Target, it adds an unexpected modern touch to what is a fairly traditional space.


Our family office is a room that has been decorated over time mostly by repainting, reusing and repurposing. The desk is a hand-me-down which I painted and glazed. The chair is a roadside find, which I finished to match the desk. The shelf and bulletin board are new purchases, also painted to look old.


Other painting projects in this room include the lamp (originally brass), the mirror (originally gold leaf), the stool (painted and recovered with vintage feed sack material) and the wainscoting which my husband and I installed. The small trunk is a flea market find and is used for storing papers, magazines, supplies, etc.


Although a majority of the time spent in this room is at the computer, the focal point is the antique Swedish settee. Years ago, I purchased it to go at the end of our bed. After getting it home I realized it was too big and it ended up in the office instead – lucky mistake! Another hand-me-down is the coffee table. It too belonged to my Grandmother. On top of the table sits a child’s chair from a favorite local shop and a pitcher which belonged to a childhood neighbor.


The final piece of furniture in the office is the bookcase. When I purchased it, I was looking for something with display space and filing space. Although it does fit perfectly and is a nice piece of furniture, part of me wishes I had waited to find an older piece.


As you can see, the furnishings and accessories in my family’s office have come from a wide variety of sources. It is a room that has evolved over time and is now filled with many wonderful memories. I guess if you are patient and use what you love somehow everything will work together!

19 comments:

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I remember seeing your office over at Remodelaholic. I just love it. I have a few of my grandmothers pins also. Such a pretty way to display them. I love the light from Target. Must have been online only, I don't remember it in the store.

michelle said...

The room is so beautiful, what a wonderful place to sit and work. I love your rhinestone collection. The desk is gorgeous, I love how you refinished it!! I think that I would just hide myself in there! :)

Living It At Home said...

I am loving this office of yours! It is so beautiful and personal. I especially like the vintage pins on display. What a creative idea. What a wonderful place to work. You have done a great job with it!

Ashley said...

I love this room! The desk, that amazing light, and that sofa...all of it! Beautiful!

Ashley said...

I love this room! The desk, that amazing light, and that sofa...all of it! Beautiful!

Hilarie said...

Beautiful room, I love the light and just had to check online for it, sad that I can't see that Target still has it in that color.

Megan Gunyan said...

What a beautiful space. Thank you so much for sharing!

Amy said...

That light really makes the room (and the settee of course).

What a nice space to work in.

Allison said...

What a great room. I love how your display your grandmother's pins and ones you've collected. Very clever! Mine are all tossed in a jewelry box. What a fun capiz shell light! I like the mixture of old and new in your room. Very pretty!

Mindy said...

your office is so pretty! I love the settee!

Atticmag said...

You created a lovely atmosphere in the office and all the finds and redos just add to its character. I especially like the pin display board -- such a clever way of showing off those treasures.

Thanks for stopping by to see us. Jane F.

Val said...

Beyond gorgeous!!!!! I love it.

Mary @ RoomPolish said...

oh my gosh, I just love that light fixture! I'm about to become a Red Door Home every-day-checker...so glad I found your site! You clearly have an eye!

Holly Lefevre said...

A beautiful home office, but I was expecting no less form you...you have the magic touch. The bulletin board with the earrings, shoe clips, etc. is a fantastic idea - I LOVE this kind of jewelry. The light - from Target! - is fantastic.

Be Colorful Coastal said...

What a fun and insightful post that let us see a bit more into your world and who you are. Loved the pins and kudos to you for finding that fun and fab ceiling fixture. I don't know how you ran across it but it definitely works here.
Have a great weekend.
Pam R

Julia said...

I am so jealous of your awesome desk! It is adorable. I'm currently looking for one and that is the exact style I'm looking for! I also like how you put the settee in there. It adds a more cozy touch to the room. Love it, thanks for letting me browse. You have a lot of great ideas on your blog!

WhisperWood Cottage said...

It's all fabulous! The settee, light, and bulletin board are all special components. Thanks for sharing your inspiring space by linking up at the Workspace Showcase, Stacy!!

Eclectically Vintage said...

Fabulous space - I have the same capiz light! It's my favorite!!
Kelly

MJL said...

I am trying to redo my desk in a similar style. Do you have a tutorial or the paint color you used?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin